It is easier to manage curly hair than you may think. I have this friend who has a wild looking mane of curly hair, and she always moans at her fate, saying, “I wish my hair was straight or something. Why can’t someone find a method to style my hair type?”
That prompted me to find out how exactly people with curly hair manage it, and what styles they use to look good.
Here are some of the things I found out:
- First and foremost, curly hair is a blessing: it does not need constant maintenance like straight hair does. People with curly hair have to simply wash their hair, use a little bit of styling gel, and walk out cool and poised, while the rest of us struggle to style our hair, a style that never stays anyway unless expensive gels are used.
- However, curly hair needs to be cut and styled well. If you have long curly hair, remember that your hair will be weighed down by the curls, while if you have a short hair cut, your curls will be released. Experts say that it is a good idea to have a layered style.
- Curly hair is generally dry hair, and therefore, you will not need to shampoo your curls too often. Your conditioner will keep your hair clean, while at the same time keeping it moisturized.
- Whenever you comb your curly hair, use a wide toothed comb, because this will takeout the tangles. You can then use a styling gel or mousse to keep your curls in place.
- If you want to color your curly hair, use a shade (natural hair dye) that is closest to your natural hair color. This will avoid the need for frequent touch ups.
- A hair expert recommends this styling method for curly hair: first, separate your hair into one or two inch sections. Then, twist your hair so that it forms more ringlets. Walk out stylishly and make waves!
- It is always a great idea to remove excess moisture out of your curly hair before you step out.
- Air drying is a better idea for curly hair than blow drying, as it can dry your hair even more.
- Spend some time over your curls; don’t take it for granted. With the right hair cut, style, styling gels and moisturizers, there is no need for you to feel jealous of the other girls around who have a gorgeous head of straight hair. Your hair too can look as attractive, if not better, so keep trying!