Dandruff and Dry scalp are two main problems most of the people face. A lot of people have dandruff problem which they are dying to get rid of. People often associate dandruff with dry scalp but it needs to be understood that there is a difference between dandruff and dry scalp and the causes are not inter related.
Even oily scalps can have dandruff on them. Below given are the details of differences between both of them. Read below to understand so that if you are suffering from one of them, you can treat it effectively.
- Dandruff is a shedding of excessive dry skin which is generated on the scalp, mainly due to exposure to excessive heat or cold.
- The symptoms include oily flakes of dead skin that appear in the hair or fall on shoulders, itchy and scaling scalp and irritated skin.
- Dandruff is caused when you do not shampoo or for that matter, cleanse your hair enough. If you allow the dirt and oils to build up in your hair, it causes dandruff.
- Dandruff can be caused due to rough skin cells, eczema, and other skin conditions which take away the natural moisture of the skin and make it dry and flaky.
- The common treatment used to eliminate dandruff from the skin is using mild anti-dandruff shampoos and other lotions which reduce dandruff.
- Use natural hair masks which can fight dandruff effectively. Yogurt is one of the best ones which you can opt for. Apply yogurt to your hair and keep it for half an hour and rinse it away with cold water.
- The skin of scalp is renewed every 20 to 30 days but there are many factors which cause disturbance in this procedure. Use of chemical based shampoos, conditioners and serums causes the shedding of skin early, resulting in dry scalp.
- The symptoms of Dry scalp include flakes of dead skin, itching and irritation of scalp or small wounds.
- Dry scalp is commonly caused due to shampooing the hair too often because of which the natural oils of the hair are stripped off, causing dehydration and flaking of skin.
- Psoriasis and Eczema are two skin conditions which can cause dry scalp as these conditions affect the skins capacity to build up new cells regularly.
- The best way to treat dry scalp is to ensure that your scalp receives the require amount of moisture. Change your shampoo to the one which provides moisture and also make it a routine to get regular oil massages so that the scalp stays moisturized.
- Dry scalp can be prevented by adding nutrients like Omega 3 fatty acids, Zinc, Vitamin B and increasing the intake of water.
- Limit the usage of mousse, gels and sprays for your hair as they can cause the drying out of scalp.
With this information, you can understand if you are suffering from dandruff or dry scalp and further seek the required treatment and take the necessary precautions.