Do you have a habit of reading the ingredient list of your conditioners and shampoo? If you don’t then let me tell you something scary, many shampoos and conditioners available in the market have toxic ingredients. Some of these ingredients are also linked to causing cancer, disease, and illness. You cannot take it for granted because you will never know the products which are available in the marketplace are safe or not. To buy hair products we generally, take a suggestion from our friends, go with the advertisement and with few reviews.
12 Harmful Ingredients used in Hair Products
We generally ignore, because many people do not know the chemical names and harmful ingredients used in it. The ingredients used in hair products and beauty products are linked to asthma, cancer, skin problems, neurological problems and various other health problems. Listed are the top toxic ingredients present in shampoo and conditioners.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS): This ingredient is found in many of the cleaning products, it is also insecticidal. Sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium Laureth sulfate is cancer causing ingredient. This product can cause cancer, liver damage, skin rashes and it may also lead to depression.
- Fragrance: Fragrance of all shampoos and conditioners are not good for you. It can clog the lymphatic system, major organ system toxicity.
- Potassium Sorbate: Most of the hair care products contains potassium sorbate, Causes organ system and skin toxicity.
- Phenoxyethanol: Irritant of skin, eyes, and lungs. It can also cause vomiting and contact dermatitis. This is also a common preservative used in many shampoos and conditioner; it can cause organ system toxicity and slow down the central nervous system.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine: It can cause eye and skin irritation, allergic contact dermatitis. Most of the people, who have sensitive skin, have negative reactions to this chemical.
- Retinyl Palmitate: It is a form of Vitamin A, excess use of this may lead to lesions and skin tumors. Carcinogen causes reproductive and organ system toxicity.
- Triclosan: Skin, eye and lung irritation, endocrine and organ disruption.
- Dimethicone: Irritation of skin, scalp, and eye, traps impurities in the skin.
- Behentrimonium Chloride: Damages the eyes, inflammatory agent, irritates skin.
- Quaternium-15: Contains carcinogenic formaldehyde, major toxic to the body.
- Polysorbates: Skin, eye and lung irritation, endocrine and organ disruption.
- Polyethylene glycol (PEG): Direct link to cancer, organ system toxicity.
How to find the safe products?
- Research about the company you are buying the hair products from
- Always read the labels, all the products have a list of ingredients used in the products.
- Do not think that all the organic and natural are safe, because they may also contain few toxic ingredients. Check the label before taking the products.
- Look for the organic ingredients
- Certain terms can be ambiguous
From now, before taking any shampoo or conditioner make sure you are reading the labels and choose the best product which does not contain these above ingredients.