Mineral makeup isn’t just the newest trend to hit the drugstore shelves – there’s actually so much you can benefit from using it.
In essence, mineral makeup is made from finely crushed minerals from the earth, minus all the harmful, toxic chemicals found in many of the traditional cosmetics widely used today.
Mineral makeup actually dates back to the hippie revolution in San Francisco during the 1970s, created through kitchen experimentation.
Soon enough the rest of the world has caught on, and now there are hundreds of brands of mineral makeup to choose from. They are widely preferred by beauty experts and the regular ladies who just want to look their best.
Benefits of mineral makeup
- It’s created differently, crushing fine minerals which go on lightweight and smoother on your skin. Additionally, the minerals have an added sheer to them, making your skin seemingly radiant and glowing even if it’s not. The main ingredients in mineral makeup are zinc oxide, mica, and titanium oxide.
- Mineral makeup is produced with a somewhat purer formulation, eliminating many harmful chemicals and skin irritants found in traditional cosmetics today. This is why many dermatologists recommend those especially with sensitive skin to switch to mineral cosmetics because they do not contain additional allergens and irritants that may affect the skin.
- The fine characteristics of mineral cosmetics are also great for your skin because they don’t clog your pores. But just like with regular makeup, it is never advisable to sleep in it. Always make sure that you still wash your face very well and moisturize before you go to bed.
- Also because of its highly-pulverized nature, mineral cosmetics also last much longer on your skin without creating a heavy, cakey feel and look that most traditional cosmetics tend to do when they promise a long-lasting effect.
- Contrary to what others believe, mineral makeup is very affordable. You can get many benefits at such a reasonable price compared with other cosmetic products.
Because not all brands of mineral makeup is alike, it is recommended to do your research before you spend your money on various types of cosmetics. It’s also helpful to know that some mineral brands still mix quite an amount of synthetic fillers and chemicals to their ingredients, and some remain true to their word: 100% pure and mineral.
At the end of the day it would be your preferences that would matter when purchasing the right type and brand of mineral makeup for you. Just make sure to read the labels and understand exactly what you are buying. Never rely on the brands and labels that scream “All mineral” for making a decision.
Don’t be fooled by expensive and luxurious brands of mineral makeup on the market. There are many inexpensive brands that come in a variety of colors that can still produce the same effect and color you are looking for with traditional makeup.
Remember that more expensive does not always translate to higher quality, so if you are on a budget and still want to reap the benefits of mineral cosmetics, you will surely find something for you.