Applying makeup doesn’t have to be tricky work. There are just a few basic and simple steps to help you learn how to apply makeup, and putting it on the right way is important in highlighting your features and hiding certain flaws.
Proper makeup application is about enhancement, not to give you an entirely new look.
Here are ten simple steps in learning how to apply makeup to see a whole new you:
- Before you start with how to apply makeup, make sure that you clean your face well and moisturize. A clean and moisturized face will serve as a palette to longer-lasting makeup and more even application.
- The right way of how to apply makeup also involves some investment in the right makeup tools. Although there are many inexpensive brands of makeup available in the market, the proper makeup tools such as brushes[makeup brushes] and a good eyelash curler will spell out the different in learning how to apply makeup properly and efficiently. Furthermore, ensure that each brush is washed and cleaned well, followed by an overnight air drying before the day you plan to use them. This will make sure that colors used for the previous session won’t overlap and ruin your desired look.
- Choose a concealer that is just one shade lighter than your natural skin tone. Apply concealer to under-eye areas, blemishes, and on the sides of noses where it may be red due to broken capillaries. Blend it well with the foundation to avoid a cakey appearance. Next, blend your foundation around the face properly.
- A good way to learn how to apply makeup for a longer-lasting effect is to use loose powder over your foundation.
- If you have very light eyebrows, use a powder-based eyebrow shadow and steer clear of pencil liners which can create an unnatural look. If you already have thick, dark colored and well-shaped eyebrows, use a clear gel mascara or eyebrow gel to set it in place.
- When it comes to eye shadow application to learn how to apply makeup, the use will vary depending on if you are going for an everyday office look, or if for a nighttime event. The basic rule of thumb in learning how to apply makeup is to use the darkest shade on the lower lids, a medium shade for the crease, and the lightest shade for underneath the eyebrows.
- For a natural daytime appearance, use light brown eyeliner and line the lower and upper lid. For a nighttime look, use darker colored eyeliner for a more dramatic look.
- One of the most important aspects for how to apply makeup is the use of mascara for better emphasis of the eyes. Curl the upper lashes for about 5 minutes, and then apply mascara of brown or black color. Do the same with the lower lashes, and follow this by curling your upper lashes once the mascara has dried.
- Smile in the mirror and apply blush to the apples of your cheeks. Then use a brush to gently blend this in with your skin tone.
- Lastly, apply lipstick or lip gloss in the shade of your choice.